To celebrate the launch of Moomins Cook book by SelfMadeHero, the Embassy of Finland reveals the secrets to the tasty dishes prepared by the wonderful Moominmamma by publishing a Recipe of the Month – until the end of 2010.
According to the Moomin philosophy everything fun must be good for the stomach. Apple juice with a hint of cinnamon warms you up during the twilight of August evenings.
1 small cinnamon stick
1 tsp cardamom
1 piece fresh ginger
a few blades of mace
1 l apple juice
1 tbsp dark brown sugar
a few rings of dried apple
1. Place the spices in a small muslin bag.
2. Tie with a piece of string or strip of muslin.
3. Place the sachet in the bottom of a casserole pot. Pour in the juice.
4. Bring the boil slowly.
5. Take the pot off the heat as soon as it comes to the boil.
6. Remove the sachet and add the brown sugar, stirring slowly until it dissolves.
7. When ready to serve, pour the steaming magic potion into mugs and sprinkle the flaked almonds and dried apple rings on top. Be careful not to burn your tongue!
Moomins Cook book, published in the UK on July 8, contains over 150 different forest recipes for drinks and dishes – from breakfast at the end of a sunny Nordic summer night to garden parties, campfires and birthday celebrations. The recipes are a wonderful introduction to Finnish cuisine; presented by the season and easy to make, they’re great for the young and old alike.