Direct to content
Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland

Finnish Embassy Newsletter 2/2012 - Embassy of Finland, London : News & Current Affairs : Newsletters


38 Chesham Place
London SW1X 8HW
Tel. +44-20-7838 6200
English | Suomi | Svenska |  | 
Newsletters, 11/02/2012

Purge was translated into English by Eva Buchwald.

'Purge' debuts at Arcola Theatre - Sofi Oksanen at Frontline Club

Author Sofi Oksanen's Purge, an international sensation, will be seen for the first time on stage in the UK this month as Borealis Theatre brings Purge to London’s Arcola Theatre. The play, that runs from 22 Feb - 24 March, is an unflinching exploration of the loss of freedom and the bitter price of survival. To coincide with the opening week of the play, London's renowned Frontline Club hosts an evening of great debate, featuring Sofi Oksanen herself. Read more

Well-functioning external economic relations are a requirement for Finland’s employment and for the international competitiveness of businesses. (c) TEKES/Pauli Noronen

Newsletter to shed light on the services on offer to Finnish companies in UK

Team Finland London Business Newsletter is the new joint newsletter of the Embassy of Finland, Finpro's trade centre in London and Finnish-British Chamber of Commerce (FBCC). The purpose of the newsletter, published three times a year, is to share information and engage the Finnish business society in the UK in the planning of future activities. Read more

Look on the bright side: Finland is expected to see some growth in spite of the sputtering global economy. (c) Niko Sjöblom/

Finland trending better than Europe

There’s not much good news coming out about the current economy. This is certainly the case if you look at this year’s forecasts. Europe is predicted to show zero growth in 2012. However, Finland’s outlook is slightly better, and mild growth is expected. To see a good forecast though, turn to 2013. By then, trends for the European and the Finnish economy should already be looking up. Read more

Sauli Niinistö (National Coalition Party, left) and Pekka Haavisto (Green Party) converse as results roll in showing that Niinistö carried the vote and will become the next president of Finland. (c) Heikki Saukomaa/Lehtikuva

Sauli Niinistö becomes president as predicted

Sauli Niinistö receives 62.6 percent of the second-round vote, becoming Finland’s next president, while Pekka Haavisto gets the remaining 37.4 percent. The 63-year-old Niinistö is a former finance minister and can be described a pro-European, moderate conservative. The results surprise no one, but this election is nonetheless groundbreaking in several respects. Read more

Upcoming cultural events in February - for further details, please visit our Events calendar

11/02/2011 - 12/02/2012 Exhibition by Karoliina Barlund & Josefina Nelimarkka, London
29/10/2011 - 19/02/2012 Exhibition Lost in Lace, Birmingham

24/01/2012 - 17/03/2012 Exhibition feat. Maiju Tirri, London

05/02/2012 - 25/02/2012 Exhibition feat. Eeva-Mari Haikala, Southend-on-Sea

09/02/2012 - 19/02/2012 Exhibition by Nastja Rönkkö, London

10/02/2012 - 10/03/2012 Photography exhibition feat. Eeva Karhu, London

16/02/2012 - 18/02/2012 Exhibition PARALLAX AF, London

22/02/2012 - 24/03/2012 Purge by Sofi Oksanen,London

23/02/2012 Panel discussion feat. Sofi Oksanen, London

27/02/2012 Concert: Pekka Kuusisto with Britten Sinfonia, London

01/03/2012 Esa-Pekka Salonen conducts the Philharmonia Orchestra, London

Finnish Embassy joined Facebook and Twitter in 2010.

Follow us day-to-day on Facebook & Twitter!

Our Facebook page has close to 1,300 followers! For all the latest news from our consulate and cultural sections, the best Finland-related articles in UK media and current issues in Finland-UK relations, please find us on Facebook (Embassy of Finland in London) or follow our tweets @FinEmbUK!

Feedback & Tips

Interesting events or other topics in mind? As always, please feel free to alert the editor at

Print this page

Updated 13/02/2012

© Embassy of Finland, London | About this site | Contact information