Direct to content
Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland

Visas and residence permits - Embassy of Finland, London : Visas and residence permits


38 Chesham Place
London SW1X 8HW
Tel. +44-20-7838 6200
English | Suomi | Svenska |  | 

Visas and residence permits

Nationals who are required to hold a visa must always be in possession of one when entering the Schengen area.

Foreign nationals who need a Schengen visa for travel to Finland are requested to apply it at the nearest Finnish mission. If you are a resident in the UK you should apply in the Embassy of Finland in London. In countries where Finland does not have a mission, another Schengen country is representing Finland in visa matters.

If you intend to stay in Finland for longer periods (more than 90 days) you will need a residence permit. There are exceptions to this rule for the citizens of other Nordic countries, EU and EEA countries.

As a rule, the first residence permit must be applied from a Finnish embassy within the applicants native country or alternatively in your country of residence. The Embassy will provide application forms and further information of the application process. The process itself and the final decision will be given by by the Finnish Immigration Service.

Check if you need a visa in the Schengen area and travel documents accepted by Finland

How to make an appointment for a Schengen visa or residence permit

The visa section is open for applicants to submit their application BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. It is the responsibility of each applicant to make an appointment online with the Embassy beforehand.

Appointment hours: Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 10.00 - 12.00.

Online appointment booking for September 2016

Online appointment booking for October 2016

Appointment enquiries by e-mail

During high tourist season you might have to wait longer to get an appointment. The Embassy has limited number of appointments reserved for the visa applicants. Please book your appointment and apply well in advance.

© Embassy of Finland, London | About this site | Contact information